US seized $500M in Iranian crypto assets, Treasury secretary says

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the US has seized nearly $500 million in Iranian crypto assets, surpassing the previously reported $344 million freeze.
The United States has seized nearly $500 million in Iranian cryptocurrency assets as part of a sweeping economic pressure campaign against Tehran, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Wednesday.
Bessent made the comments during an appearance on Fox Business’s “Kudlow,” where he outlined the scope of Operation Economic Fury, a campaign ordered by President Donald Trump in March 2025 aimed at cutting off Iran’s financial lifelines through asset seizures, bank account freezes and secondary sanctions on countries that continue to buy Iranian oil.
“We are freezing bank accounts everywhere. More importantly, we are making people less willing to deal with the regime,” Bessent said, adding that retirement funds and overseas real estate held by Iranian officials are also being targeted.
Source: Cointelegraph →Related News
- 3 hours ago
Analysts forecast a Bitcoin crash to the $60K level, revisiting 2026 low
- 5 hours ago
Warsh will cut rates, despite consensus view of rate hikes: Analyst
- 9 hours ago
Binance denies new WSJ report alleging $850M in Iran-linked transactions
- 12 hours ago
ECB pushes back on euro stablecoin proposals, citing financial stability risks
- 14 hours ago
SEC approves Nasdaq to list Bitcoin index options on the exchange
